Monday, March 23, 2009

Of knives and fruit

In the afternoon the knife - man came along
and I got some knives and scissors sharpened.
Blunt instruments are of no use.
When my life gets out of tune
God grates, polishes and scours me against the
abrasive wheel of trials and temptations
to put the edge back and keep me on my toes.
Not that I enjoy the process
while it is in action.
But the results produce
some fruit or the other.
_________________
Today I bought what we call gooseberries.
Locally they are also known as rus-bhari
(literally full of juice)
They are the poor man 's strawberries.
They are sweet and sour
with tiny seeds
encased in a paper like shell or covering.
You can eat them raw or make jam
and preserves with them.
I love them either way.
I wonder if people in other countries have them
and what are they called there.

This is from our mulberry tree

The fruit look like little bugs.

They are not too sweet but I love them.
I have a sore throat - could be strep
but I can 't resist the fruit.
I guess it has Vitamin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment