Friday, September 11, 2009

Thursday Visitors

On Thursday we had a lot of visitors.In the morning Uncle Freddie dropped by.
He is a retired Pastor and fund raiser for
the Bible Society and Scripture Union.
He travels far and wide on his bicycle
visiting homes collecting money for
these two societies.
He has worn out several bicycles.
Uncle is in his late 60s and suffers
from several health problems
but he is not slowing down.
Through his tireless efforts he has contributed a
lot for these mission agencies.
He has a symbol of the cross on his carry box.
I suppose it brings him luck or favor.


Late afternoon I got a call from my friend Poonam
saying she wanted to bring her football team
to cook a dinner of scrambled eggs and bread in our home.
Most of the girls who belong to conservative
vegetarian homes expressed a desire to eat home cooked eggs.
So I scrapped the plans I had for the evening
and invited them over.


Poonam is a High School PE teacher and Cricket coach
in a Methodist Girls School up north.
She was my friend and colleague in the American school
where I taught.


The gals preparing dinner in my kitchen.
Everyone had a lot of fun.
Mama was also very relaxed as she chatted with Poonam.


Before dinner we had tea and snacks.
And my goodness the gals were famished !
They had played two football matches that day.
But they were so good.
They made scrambled eggs with onions and tomatoes and
lots of hot chilies, rotis (flat bread)
and potato sabzi (stir fry).
(2 of them did not eat eggs)
And after dinner they washed and cleaned up
and even put away my dishes and stuff.

Poonam with her students.
They left later that night
and caught the 11.30 pm train
for their city.
We really enjoyed this lively visit.
Although I was a bit tired afterwards
as I got a short notice to prepare
for the visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment