Friday, June 5, 2009

Just to Cheer Up

In this heat and humidity
we all felt like the above .
My Mom ate better today.
Thank you for your prayers.



As her mood goes up and down
I feel like a jumping yo-yo
or a mechanical chicken.
At times a herd of rhinos seem to be trampling me emotionally.
And then when peace returns
I feel like a contented clockwork chicken.
The cooler pump finally burnt out.
Tomorrow I will buy a new one
and get a man to install it.
The only stable thing in my life
is my trust and belief in God.
"The Lord is close to the broken hearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit"
Psalm 34:18 (NIV)


To spread cheer I am posting photos
of Indian jewellery.
Many of my blog friends like Dame Penni and Donetta
make beautiful jewellery.

Like most Indian women I am fond of jewellery.
All these photos are from the web.
None of this expensive stuff is mine.LOL

One can buy very cheap fashion jewellery from
roadside stalls and markets.

Or very expensive stuff from high end shops.
The tribal connection
Bead work


Bridal jewellery consists of gold and jewels.
It is matter of pride and status to own
a bit of gold jewellery.
People buy gold according
to their financial standing.
It is an investment too.
And a great cultural necessity.
24 years ago I was visiting my
newly married sister Anjali in
the South Indian city of Coimbatore.
We were invited to the wedding of their
rich landlord 's daughter
(very conservative Hindus
whose dog too was a pure vegetarian)
At the wedding ceremony they gave us
special attention as we were from North India.
We were taken to the bridal chamber,
where she was seated with a whole host of ladies.
She was dressed in a very expensive red and gold silk sari
and laden with heavy gold jewellery.
I just could not believe the ornaments were made of real gold.
I had only seen tradition dancers wear that kind
of artificial jewellery on TV or in the movies.
Like doubting Thomas I could not help myself
and asked a lady to tell me if all that gold was real -solid.
The lady burst out laughing and told us the weight
of the items in pounds or kilogrammes.
The word about my naive question
got around and everyone
had a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment