Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chor Bizzarre

Chor is the Hindi word for thief
A few nights ago when I went out to take the laundry in I was taken aback to
find a shawl, bed sheet and my new cotton pants (shalwar) missing.
This has never happened before.
It was scary too and I wondered
at the audacity of a thief to come and
steal from my clothesline.
I was about to go out and search for them with a flashlight when Sonia returned from shopping
and found the missing clothes lying in our neighbour 's yard.
Their dog Naughty (aptly named)
had pulled them off the line and dragged them
to his house.
In doing do he chewed up my pants.
I am quite mad at that because
Sonia had given them to me and they were new.
I shall try to darn them.
Sheeba was mad at Naughty too and chased him away.
I suppose in the West it is the thing to
pay for the damage caused by pets.
It is not so here. And my neighbour offered, but I declined,
as it would create a social awkwardness.
I could never accept a replacement from them.
Relationships are more important than clothes.
Roahl Dahl is one of my favorite authors.
His books "Matilda " and "Charlie and the Chocolate
Factory" have made made into movies.
Here is a funny quote from him
to go with the doggie photos
“There’s jacky-jumpers in my tummy! There’s squigglers in my belly! There’s bangers in my bottom
Roahl Dahl

**************
Last week we discovered that
the goat lady whom we allowed to
gather fodder and fuel was
stealing vegetables from our land.
She hid them under the grass she collected.
Its sad because we gave her vegetables regularly.
Now she has been banned from our area.
I know poverty can lead a person to this
but it is also our duty
to teach people to be honest and
socially responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment