Thursday, July 30, 2009

Monday, May 14, 2007 - back dated!


EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2007


I remember being really excited when arriving at Niclas house for last years Eurovision Song Contest. We'd decided to make it a 'swedish evening' considering all of us used to watch the show almost religiously back home. Since moving to London I found that I missed a few years in between and saw this a great opportunity to get back into it. After all, what better way for such diverse countries to come together than through song?


Yeah right..


Halfway through the show, after listening to some of the entries (can't even remember any of them now) I couldn't believe just what a downhill ravine was awaiting the voting process. Normally, its the bit I'm always looking forward to - but last year - it was a nightmare!!!
Monster band Lordi worn the title for Finland with Hardrock Halleluja and I was ready to throw in the towel. A prestigeous melody contest had turned into ultimate trash TV where shrieking, headbanging puppets were allowed to represent countries. Idiocracy!


When advertised I couldn't have paid less attention to ESC this year. I accidentally saw when Scooch won the British part and nearly choked in disguist. So it was no surprise that when its started on TVon Saturday night I switched the channel. I had no intention of watching what once was an interesting viewable programme getting more and more ridiculed.


It wasn't until Mon texted me, saying that the Serbian song was actually quite good and that I should at least switch the TV on to see how the voting goes that I somewhat reluctantly changed the channel. Thinking about it, it was my favourite part of the show so why the hell not, I asked myself? Ron didn't look too impressed, slightly confused as to why I'd boycott the songs themselves and just watch the voting - I didn't have a reasonable explenation.. lol


Halfway through the countries casting immorally 'friendly' votes to their neighbours it became obvious that Serbias entry led by Marija Serifovic was on a winning trail. Not only were they given the highest votes by the countries once a part of them but recently at war (Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia and Montenegro) but also managed to score high from such random countries as Austria, Georgia, Israel and Sweden.


How lucky(?) for me to be half Serbian, half Swedish and living in the UK. That in my eyes means 3 times more chance of victory. And I was glad to see that a Serbian truckdriver lesbian was crowned the Queen of this particular Eurovision. After being banned from participating for over 6 years due to the war in former Yugoslavia, Serbia has now hit back and reclaimed its throne with a great song in true Eurovision spirit.


Admittedly I didn't see any of the other entries, nor did I bother listening to them but if a song as beautiful as Molitva (Prayer) won this year then some of my faith in the show has been restored and I might give it another chance next year. Maybe even experience it firsthandedly from Belgrade myself? Now that would be something for the memoirs..


In the meantime, lets just hope that last years disaster was just a glitch in the system and that the future's brighter for the contest and the counties involved in it..


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment