Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Street Wise

This morning after cooking dal, rice and greens for lunch
I set out to visit the OM (Operation Mobilization)
Christian bookshop which is having a sale.

While I was opening the front gate I witnessed
a traffic accident.
A motorcyclist crashed into a police jeep.
I recoiled in horror as I was not prepared to see
blood on the street.
But fortunately there was no injury.
The man got up, brushed off the dust and grime, collected his wits and drove off.
The cops stopped the jeep and one of them disembarked
but assessing the minor mishap
they carried on with their journey
as if nothing had happened.
No problemo -this is just mundane stuff.

I hired a cycle rickshaw to take
me to my destination.
I took several pictures from the moving vehicle.
The above is a block of modern apartments.
My BIL owned property there
to sell when the prices appreciated.

Roadside motorcycle repair shops near my house.


The black and yellow school taxis lining up
outside a Christian Boy 's school
to ferry children home.

These taxis are very popular with people of the
lower income group.
You can share them with others and only pay for the seat you occupy.


A petrol station


Another filling station.
In the background you can see the tower
of Mayo Hall,
A building erected by the British
in the memory of Lord Mayo.
It has been converted into a sports complex now.


A statue on a traffic island

Another view of the same sculpture.


Here is another person cast in stone.

When I reached OM Books,
I discovered I had left my handbag
with my money back home.
This really short circuited my trip.
I returned home to retrieve my purse.
Shelling out double transport money made me
want to kick myself.
I could have used it to buy another book
or some vegetables.
But life 's like that sometimes.
I bought some books
and I will show you those in another post.
I am very pleased with what I obtained.
**************
Life is a journey through many terrainFrom gardens of pleasure to deserts of painFrom an ocean of love to a jungle of hateFrom Mountains of glory to canyons of fate.
There's a highway for joy and a highway for sorrowA Road for today and a road for tomorrow.
So choose your path wisely and walk with careIf you follow your heart, you'll find your way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment