Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"I Felt So Safe Around Him"

Another date I went on. A real freak-show I'll call D. D belonged to a wicken cult, and went out of her way to try to explain to me which "Harry Potter" school she would have belonged to. I simply responded to her ramblings with "wow".

She told me all kinds of horror stories about her ex husband - a police officer.

She told me that he put her into the hospital several times due to his violent nature.

Of course, I knew I was getting only one side of the story - who started the fight, what sparked the violence - was she even being honest about the hospital trips.

I asked the question (that I asked of all the women I dated), "What was it about him that attracted you to him?"

A twinkle appeared in her eye, she looked wistfully away, sighed and said, "I felt so safe around him."

It was like a scene from a princess movie or something (and a bad one at that).

The laughter came out of my nose first. I think I actually shot a bougar out of my nose.

"Safe from what? Not going to the hospital!?", I laughed.

She was NOT laughing. She looked angry and bitter.

I stopped laughing and looked around like saying, "uh oh - here it comes!"

She said, "I don't think that's funny. There's nothing funny about domestic violence. My support group told me that this happens all the time to all kinds of women YIP YIP YIP".

My brain shut off - all I heard was "EE BEE BEE. EE BEE BEE BEE BEE BEE. YIP YIP YIP". Like nails on a chalkboard.

She asked me to leave.

I started to get up, then I said, "No - you leave. You're the idiot here - not me".

Her face got even more angry. It looked like she was about to throw a first-class temper tantrum.

I sat back down, and looked her square in the eye - mentally I was saying, "Bring it".

She left.

No comments:

Post a Comment