Saturday, September 11, 2010

Eid and Ganesh Utsav

The fabric of India is interwoven with strands of several religions and we live harmoniously side by side.

India has the world' s 3rd largest Muslim population. Today is their festival of Eid -ul-Fitr, which is celebrated after a month long Ramadan fasting.

Our Muslim friends brought us some Eid food which was very nice as I did not have to cook dinner.





The is sweet vermicelli which is an Eid speciality. It is also called Sheer Korma.It is vermicelli cooked in milk and sugar, garnished with dry fruit.

Check out this website for an easy recipe HERE with illustrations

These are web photos but they also brought us chicken curry and rice similar to this.



For the Hindus today was the first day of a 10 day long festival in which the elephant god Ganesh is worshipped. This festival is most popular in Western India- the state of Maharashtra and its capital Mumbai (Bombay) but its catching up in other parts of India.

Special sweets , the favorite of Ganesh are eaten today and offered to him. Modak (photo above) is made with rice flour, milk, sugar and dry fruit etc. I have never had them though.













If a man does not keep pace with his companions perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears,however measured or far away.







HENRY DAVID THOREAU (Walden)



We 've had a good spell of rain this evening, its cooler.

My knees and back hurt quite a bit and I get tired rather quickly.

My desktop problem corrected itself. Now my blog appears normal.

I subscribe to blogs by Bloglines and they are going to end services on Oct. 1st. I am looking for an alternative feeder. Can anyone suggest a good one? I have Google Reader but its too cluttered..



I have noticed that some bloggers don' t allow a RSS feed so you can 't follow them. They will get more blog traffic if they permit RSS feeds etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment