Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Her, I was More than a Bank Account with a Penis

I recant an excerpt from one of the many dates that I went on. The woman's name was K. She was slightly overweight, and had a 17-year old daughter. K invited me over to her house for margaritas and a movie.

The three of us were watching "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise. Very shortly into the movie, K got a phone call.

"I gotta take this, it's the Sheriff's department, they just found some of my property that was stolen - I have to talk to them for a while" she said.

I paused the movie; sipped my margarita; lit a cigarette.

Her daughter approached me and asked, "Can I have a light?"

I said, "Your mom lets you smoke?"

She said, "yeah".

I said, "I hate to give you a lecture, but as a responsible adult - smoking for years, I have to say - quit now - the older you get, the harder it gets to quit."

She asked me questions about what types of music I liked, what I did in my spare time. I told her about the music I make - and the games I program. She was immediately interested. I told her about my web-site, and she said she had already been there - and so had all of her friends...

I thought, she is obviously watching out for mom - trying to get to know the man her mom is currently dating.

She started asking me questions about my college days. She asked me what I majored in, what classes I liked the most.

As I told her more and more of my college experiences, I had her laughing. I told her about psychology, and what aspects of it interested me. I told her that when the topic of sexuality came up, everybody in the classroom started raising their hands and asking all kinds of questions about transsexuals, homosexuals, transvestites etc... That made her laugh more.

I also told her that one of the most exciting aspects of college - is that there is so much to learn on a University campus - and when I was first enrolling; I had a hard time deciding on what would be my major.

I told her about the "core" classes that could be applied to any major - and that she did not have to worry too much about what to major in until the 2nd semester usually.

She was smiling, and so was I.

I felt like somebody was actually interested in getting to know me - rather than being manipulative with sex - and sizing up my bank accounts.

Her mom came back into the room, we resumed the movie. I paid no attention to the movie - I just kept thinking - dang, to be almost starting college again - what I wouldn't give for that!

I also kept thinking about all the questions this young woman asked me, and how I seemed to "encourage" her with the thought of going to college. I found myself staring at her, and wondering what she would choose as her major - what kind of experiences she would have in college - would she graduate. I had a smile on my face the whole time.

She was laying belly-down on the floor, her mom and myself were seated in chairs.

Then it hit me. I was staring at a 17-year old girl with a shit-eating grin on my face.

"I gotta go - I forgot about something - I'll call you tomorrow".

I promptly left while B-S-ing my way through a barrage of questions about what it was I had forgotten.

I never went back (or called back).

What I got from this experience: It was extremely pleasant to have somebody inquisitive about me as a HUMAN BEING, and not a BANK ACCOUNT WITH A PENIS.

Of course, this young woman had no intentions of "hooking up" with me either...

No comments:

Post a Comment